Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday Tidbits: IE and IC not 'playing nice'

Hi everyone!  Hope your Tuesday is going well!

Lately, I've been getting a number of teachers who are having trouble saving their assignments in Infinite Campus.  They put the assignment in, and the details, and the points and everything else, and then they click "Save" and.... nothing.

A few months ago.... there was a message that came across the Tech Director Listserv that addressed this problem, and while no one had a real solution.  Several people mentioned that they were having similar problems.

It was also discovered that this problem was limited to Internet Explorer.  If a staff member had Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed, Infinite Campus worked fine.

About a month ago (give or take a week or two)... Mrs. Hemmen was our first staff member to go through this.  We couldn't get Internet Explorer to work no matter what, so I installed Google Chrome on hers and away we went.

A few weeks ago, I e-mailed the Tech Guy who had started the question and asked if he ever got an answer.  He said he did not, and that he just installed Chrome whenever someone had a problem.

Today, I helped a couple other teachers with this... and decided to send my own message over the Listserv. The answer.... "It's an Internet Explorer problem".  One tech person said they talked to Campus and they(Campus) claimed that Firefox and Chrome were fully supported, but Internet Explorer not so much.

So.... You have 2 options

1.  Have me install  Google Chrome on your computer.  You can use it to basically "replace" Internet Explorer if you like (it is faster).  Note:  I use Chrome almost exlusively at home and at work.  It's faster, more secure, and it works better with more websites.  I plan on installing the Chrome browser on all computers in the school next year.

Or, if you don't want to mess with it that much... just use Chrome for running Campus, and keep your IE for your other bookmarks.

2.  I can teach you a "Work Around" in which you can add assignments through the gradebook itself.  It works just fine...it's just a different way to enter the information.

One of Microsoft's current "updates" is "Internet Explorer 10" and it's causing lots of trouble across the web.  So, if you would like to have Chrome installed...just give me a holler...it only takes a few minutes, and you'll be good to go.

Eventually, I imagine that Campus will solve their compatability issues...but for now, we will have to go with another option!

Lastly.... have you ever heard of Jake Bugg?  I subscribe to Rolling Stone magazine, and I read an article that compared him to Bob Dylan.

So I was intrigued...and he's pretty darn good!  Enjoy Lightning Bolt...




No comments:

Post a Comment